Unwitting partition

Epirb406 22:51 03 Mar 2003

Hi, some of you may have seen my last post about a trashed OS and associated woes.

I am now back up and running but when I came to reinstall all my programs I ran out of disk space before I was nearly done!

On inspection it seems that Win ME has created itself a partition of 2 Gb and installed there, how can I get the other 4 Gigs of hard drive back?

Many thanks for any pointers, Epirb.

tps 17:33 04 Mar 2003

backup any files and restart your pc in msdos and use the fdisk utility when inside press option3 del partitions and press option 1 del primary dos partiton prees esc as instructed now recreate the partition by pressing option 1 and option 1 again and use the maximum amount for the partition and you should now have no problems when you reinstall ME.

Epirb406 22:41 06 Mar 2003

tps, thanks for the response, been awy for a while trying it!

Probs, win ME offers no dos promt on start up. So:

uninstalled windows, installed dos, ran fdisk, got confirmation of 6 gb. Reinstalled win ME. Same problem, only 2 Gb recognised.

Any more tips? Anyone else?

Thanks in advance for help, someone must be able to help me out of this PC hell!!

Epirb.

Epirb406 08:13 07 Mar 2003

Refresh

Tesman 10:00 07 Mar 2003

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "installed" dos - you should be running fdisk from a startup floppy. I would suggest that you either create one or download one from here:

click here

Set your bios to boot from floppy if it isn't already, choose "Start computer without CD-ROM Support", and type fdisk at the A:\ prompt. From then on, it's as tps said.
Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but I can't locate your previous posting!

Epirb406 16:07 08 Mar 2003

Problem solved thanks guys, a bit of further reading and careful inspection of your respective advice hit the spot.

I went for it with out a beer in my hand on a Saturday morning, also a better route to success than after the babies in bed of an evening!

No suggestion you were teaching egg sucking, I sometimes wish I could forget what I do know so I wouldn't intefere in things I don't understand!

Thanks for the help Guys, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?