Unwanted spam

Rogerfredo 17:56 30 Jan 2004

Last week I posted a question about unwanted spam in the form of emails which stated "increase the size of your penis by 3 inches".
I have since been running Mailwasher as suggested, and set these messages to "bounce" and be blacklisted.
However, I am currently innundated with variations on this theme, with different wording and which appear to have been sent by different "private" people, usually on AOL or Netscape. I am getting about 10 per day.
As I said before, I am at a loss as to why this has suddenly started happening, as I have used the net in the same way for the last 12 years.

Chris the Ancient 18:31 30 Jan 2004

First thing - stop using the 'bounce'! It is not as efficient as Mailwasher think. Some clever people out there can tell that it's a bounce from the user rather than the server by how long it takes! QED, you exist, so we'll send more spam.

Spam is a sad fact of life, But I have noticed a general, if gentle, decrease in the time I've been using Mailwasher - but without bouncing.

Treat it like junk mail through the letter box and dump it as soon as it arrives.

HTH a bit

Chris

leo49 18:40 30 Jan 2004

Agree with Chris and by bouncing you're only adding to the garbage that clogs up the Web. If you're only getting 10 you should be counting your blessings - I get well over 100 every day.

Pesala 18:49 30 Jan 2004

Just like the real weather, the internet also suffers from storms of spam. The latest Mydoom virus noticed only a week ago is generating millions of spam emails. I get at least ten a day - even Marks & Spencers sent bounced an email in my direction. Eventually, virus checkers will catch up, and the storm will abate - until the next new virus is released. Just don't go out onto the internet without your umbrella. (~_~)

Rogerfredo 19:01 30 Jan 2004

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I will stop bouncing and see if this improves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?