unwanted left double click

apianglo 01:50 31 Mar 2010

Hi,you all know i`m here to ask for help so I`ll cut to the quick. My computer has developed the ability to count a single left mouse click as a double click. So if I want to go back a web page it goes back two, or if I want to highlight something it opens a different function instead. All things needing just a single click are treated as though I`ve done a double. At first I thought it was the mouse, but I`ve tried two others with the same result. Please help ( You`ve never let me down before so here`s hoping) I`m currently using Windows 7 If that makes a difference. Thank for reading

birdface 08:10 31 Mar 2010

Have you tried Mouse in control panel.
It has a slider you can adjust.
Mine is set slightly to the right of center.
Not sure if it will work or not but worth a look I suppose.

dogbreath1 08:11 31 Mar 2010

The mouse is probably set to open files on single click. Try reverting to double click.

Control Panel>Folder Options>General Tab>Double Click To Open An Item (tick)

[This is per XP, but I'm sure it won't be too different in 7]

apianglo 19:13 31 Mar 2010

Thanks for your replies: dogbreath1 I`ve checked the settings you`ve given & they already apply.
buteman, It took me a while to find mouse in the control panel but did succede, i`ve moved pointer to the left (slow) to see if that helps ,if not I`ll try taking it tother way, I`ll let you know.

Sea Urchin 19:47 31 Mar 2010

The slider on the Mouse simply adjusts the interval between the two clicks - so has no effect on single/double clicking.

It's much more likely to be the settings as per dogbreath1's post. Try going to Folder Options and set it to Single click - then Apply and OK. Then open again (should only need 1 click to open) and reset to Double Click - Apply and OK.

If that doesn't work then does your mouse have a driver disk? If so try reinstalling. But perhaps first try another mouse - you may just need a new one.

apianglo 18:28 03 Apr 2010

Thanks to all that responded to my call for help. I`ve tried the various things you have suggested & imust admit things have improved but not yet cured, I`ll repeat the dosage in hope. Once again thank you very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)