Unwanted folders in Windows Explorer

bkk-bkk 14:17 30 Jan 2003

Each time I boot I get a new My Download Files folder in Windows Explorer. When I run graphics programs I get a My Pictures folder. When I run Adobe Distiller I get an Adobe folder. I delete them because I do not use or need them. How can I prevent them reappearing?

My equipment is: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, Windows 98 (Second Edition), MS Office 2000, MS Outlook 2002, Internet Explorer 6.0.26

recap 15:34 30 Jan 2003

Does this mean that there are numerous duplicate files in Explorer if you do not delete them? or Is there only one each time you open Explorer?

bkk-bkk 00:31 31 Jan 2003

Recap

There are no duplicate files, this is about folders. They are never duplicates only single folders.

A new My Download Files folder appears in Windows Explorer each time I boot. The My Pictures and Adobe folders appear when I use related programs. The folders are always empty when they appear. When the folders appear I delete them to the Recycle Bin. In the recycle bin there are several deleted My Download Files, My Pictures and Adobe folders where they remain until I clear the Recycle Bin.

VoG™ 00:34 31 Jan 2003

These folders are created automatically, as you have discovered. Unless you place files in them they take up zilch space. So what is the problem?

bkk-bkk 07:50 31 Jan 2003

It isn't to do with space on the hard drive but more to do with esthetics. I don't like clutter, my physical and PC desktops contain only what I am currently working on. Therefore, anything extraneous is removed. Call it nitpicking but I will continue to remove them manually until I get the answer to my question.

leo49 10:04 31 Jan 2003

You can use Tweakui[under the My Computer Tab]to move the location of the My Pictures folder[and several other System Folders].

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?