Unsure what to do with my gaming PC`

Sylva 01:49 30 Jun 2017

I bought a gaming PC with the sole intention of gaming, without realising that there'd be so much else I would have to keep up with, drivers etc. I have been trying to find a guide to teach me what to do, but I haven't found any useful resources. I just need to know what I need to do to regularly maintain my PC, when I need to update drivers, if I need any malware etc. Thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 09:23 30 Jun 2017

.......without realising that there'd be so much else I would have to keep up with, drivers etc.

If your computer is running fine then the drivers don't need updating. In fact, updating drivers unnecessarily on a regular basis can frequently cause problems.

I just need to know what I need to do to regularly maintain my PC,............

Computers don't need any regular maintenance because they do all the important stuff themselves automatically. You certainly don't need any so-called "clean up" programs that claim to remove "junk" files and "clean" the Registry. They are little more than snake oil and can frequently cause catastrophic problems.

..... if I need any malware ...

Your new computer almost certainly has malware protection already and it will update itself automatically. If you're running Windows 10 and you want to see what protection you have then head over to Control Panel -> Security & Maintenance". Expand the "Security" section and let me know what it shows if you're at all concerned.

Sylva 16:40 30 Jun 2017

Thanks, everything seems fine. I disabled all startup programmes, however, and not my internet connection has stopped - any advice on what to do about that?

Menzie 17:22 30 Jun 2017

In general with PCs if they work perfectly it pays to leave them alone. My driver's haven't been touched in a while. It can be tempting since each driver promises performance inprovements but in reality any gains attained are miniscule at best.

The only time you should download a driver is if something you're trying to play now doesn't work well.

As for maintenance most PCs tweak themselves behind the scenes. Physically what you can do for your computer is keep it clean. Wipe it if any dust accumulates and keep it in an area that isn't close to any heat sources such as a radiator.

As for your internet issue, how are you connected? Via wireless or wired?

It could be that one of the programs stopped at start-up was for the network connectivity software that your hardware is using.

MJS WARLORD 17:26 30 Jun 2017

press reset button on modem to try and sort out any internet problems then wait for light sequence to sort its self out.

also type device manager into your search box , if you have a yellow triangle next to modem tab right click it to see what your options are.

as for start up menu i only have realtec audio manager launch at start. updates .... just let windows do its own thing.. to go side by side with your anti virus get the free version of antimalware bytes and if it ever finds anything do repeated scans till it finds nothing. if you have a solid state drive dont use defrag program you dont need to. finally ccleaner id good to get rid of junk be if your a bit unsure of what to clean up just use the cleaner tab and leave the reg cleaner tab alone..... hope my feedback helps you.

Secret-Squirrel 18:18 30 Jun 2017

....finally ccleaner id good to get rid of junk be if your a bit unsure of what to clean up just use the cleaner tab.........

Removing what you call "junk" won't make a computer run any better or faster so don't waste your time with it. In fact, the default CCleaner options remove lots of stuff that most folks find useful such as history and cookies etc. I do concede though that if a hard drive is dangerously full then it can help recover some free space.

By the way, the "Reset" button on a router puts it back to factory settings so is likely to make things worse, and the last time any computer had a modem "tab" in Device Manager was probably about ten years ago ;)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 30 Jun 2017

I disabled all startup programmes

only disable the ones you don't need you must not disable your antivirus and antimalware which will run at startup.

Menzie 20:13 30 Jun 2017

If your computer is using third party software to connect to the network versus Windows then disabling that at start up will cause issues as the computer won't connect to the network.

Haven't seen any software in a while like that but I like to go Drivers only and let Windows manage my connections instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)