unstable picture using firewire

itan 08:10 31 Aug 2005

I HAVE A H.P. PAVILION A708 COMPUTER USING A CELERON PROCESSOR RUNNING AT 2.6GHZ AND MY O.S IS WINDOWS XP.
AFTER DOWNLOADING FOOTAGE FROM MY DIGITAL CAMCORDER TO MY PC VIA FIREWIRE CONNECTION, AND BURNING IT ONTO DVD USING WINDVD CREATOR, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE STABILITY OF THE PLAYBACK PICTURE.
IF THERE IS SMALL MOVEMENT,I.E. SOMEONE SITTING AND TALKING, THEN ALL IS WELL. BUT, IF THAT PERSON STANDS UP AND WALKS ACROSS THE ROOM, THEN THEIR IMAGE IS NOT SO MUCH BROKEN UP, BUT SEEMS TO, JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND, INTERMITTENTLY FREEZE.
I HAVE TRIED VARIOUS DVD DISCS AND PLAYERS BUT TO NO AVAIL.
IF THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM COULD THEY PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THE CORRECTED IT.
I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS.
MANY THANKS.
ITAN.

€dstowe 08:19 31 Aug 2005

Please do not post IN CAPITAL LETTERS. It is difficult to read and is regarded as shouting.

How much memory do you have? Video processing uses huge amounts of memory so you should have as much as you can and not have any other processes going on that the same time.

scotty 09:40 31 Aug 2005

If you play the DVD in a DVD player (as opposed to on the pc) do you still have the problem?

Bagsey 09:41 31 Aug 2005

How much memory do you have, and what speed Hard Disc are you using. Video work need a considerable amount of memory to handle the bitrate needed to make the video flow smoothly, also the hard disv speed really needs to be 7200 rpm with udma or again there could be a data bottleneck caused because the data is not getting off the hard disc fast enough.What video handling software are you using.?

bosmere 10:19 31 Aug 2005

itan I think probably it's a software problem rather than RAM/disc speed etc. Most of my home movies I download via firewire to my PC running ME at 1.2MHz with 384MB of RAM and have no problems.

I download, edit and render to MPEG via Pinnacle Studio 9 and burn to disc via Nero.

Also have you the latest firmware for your DVD recorder and are you using the manufacturers recommended discs?

You mention trying various players, but how does it playback via your PC?

ps NTFS is also better than FAT32 for movie making.

stlucia 12:45 31 Aug 2005

I agree with bosmere on this. I use firewire to download video on a PC with a much lower spec than yours (600Mhz, Win 98SE, 256Mb RAM) with no problems. My software is Pinnacle for downloading editing and converting to MPEG2, and then MyDVD or Roxio for burning to DVD.

Having said that, the small-screen preview in Pinnacle sometimes momentarily freezes and jumps, but the finished article never has that problem.

Monoux 12:52 31 Aug 2005

Have you tried checking that the discs you are using are compatable with your DVD writer. I have similar problems if I use the cheaper blank discs e.g. Tesco. I have found that if I stick to well known brands e.g. Maxall I dont get the problem of momemtory freezes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?