unpartition hard disc

tes 17:12 27 Oct 2003

How do I remove rhe partions from a hard disc? infact how do I remove everthing to make it like a new hard disc?

holly polly 17:41 27 Oct 2003

if u want to make it look like a new hdd ,the only way is to reformat ,some info would be of help ,make of hdd ,os you are thinking of instaling and comp spec regards -hol pol...

pj123 17:47 27 Oct 2003

This is a major step, so before you do this you need to make sure you have all the drivers you need and a boot disk. If you don't have a bootdisk go to click here and download the file for the operating system you plan to install.

graham√ 17:56 27 Oct 2003

If this is the only hard drive on your only computer I would think very carefully. As pj123 says, it's a major step. Grown men have been reduced to tears when things go wrong, and the PC is lifeless.

holly polly 18:03 27 Oct 2003

another thread accosted ,gday graham and pj123-regards -hol pol...

graham√ 18:12 27 Oct 2003

Gday to you! Can we take it you are in Oz?

Legolas 18:29 27 Oct 2003

For most OS,s it is the same format.

1. Boot to the a: prompt from a bootup floppy(98 or ME will do).

2.At the a:prompt type 'fdisk'(do not include the ') choose to enable large disk support.

3.If you have extended partitions choose to delete these first, then choose to delete your primary partition, if no extended partitions choose to delete your primary partition.

4.Once deleted choose 'set up primary partiton' you can at this stage also choose to set up any secondary/extended partitions you want

5. Make sure your primary partition is set as 'active'

6.Reboot your system to the a:prompt and type format c: if c is the letter of your hdd if not replace c with the approporiate letter.

7.Your hdd should now be formatted and ready for the reinstallation of your OS.

I have written this from memory so if I have made a mistake or left anything out

Legolas 18:29 27 Oct 2003

For most OS,s it is the same format.

1. Boot to the a: prompt from a bootup floppy(98 or ME will do).

2.At the a:prompt type 'fdisk'(do not include the ') choose to enable large disk support.

3.If you have extended partitions choose to delete these first, then choose to delete your primary partition, if no extended partitions choose to delete your primary partition.

4.Once deleted choose 'set up primary partiton' you can at this stage also choose to set up any secondary/extended partitions you want

5. Make sure your primary partition is set as 'active'

6.Reboot your system to the a:prompt and type format c: if c is the letter of your hdd if not replace c with the approporiate letter.

7.Your hdd should now be formatted and ready for the reinstallation of your OS.

I have written this from memory so if I have made a mistake or left anything out

Legolas 18:30 27 Oct 2003

Sorry pressed the wronk key.

I have written this from memory so if I have made a mistake or left anything out I am sure someone will correct me.

tes 18:46 27 Oct 2003

My present system holly is a 2.1 athlon 40gb c drive 2nd drive partitioned as f 30gb(for photo's) & g 50gb(for video's)both drives are seagates running on xp home edition.I am building a new system with a new 120gb sata drive partitioned 80(main c) & 40(photo) & using all my old drive for video.My old 40gb drive will not be used in this system.

woodchip 19:00 27 Oct 2003

Go up to your NewsAgent there is a Mag with Partitioning software on it but only works I think in windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?