Unlocking a mobile phone!

Mr "B" 17:26 20 Feb 2006

I need a phone unblocking and was told that some bloke can do it by connecting it to his laptop and with the software he has can do this, but what i need do know is how does he do this(with what software and can i do this?) and also the main thing is, Is this legal?

Totally-braindead 17:28 20 Feb 2006

It is legal a lot of the high street shops will do it for you so you can change network, typically they charge about £10. What software they use I just don't know.

Mr "B" 17:30 20 Feb 2006

Thats what they said to me it would be about a tenner, would be interesting to know how they do it.

mattyc_92 17:36 20 Feb 2006

I have always thought that they "flash" one of the chips in the phone.
Never really gave it much thought to be honest

amonra 17:37 20 Feb 2006

click here,
Have a look here.

Fingees 17:39 20 Feb 2006

Would it not be quicker and cheaper just to cage te simm?

Or doesn't it work like tht
I also have never really thougt about it.

mattyc_92 17:43 20 Feb 2006

When you buy a mobile, the phone is "locked" to one network, so buying a new sim wouldn't work, as the phone wouldn't accept the sim

You need to "unlock" the phone AND buy a SIM card!!

Mr "B" 17:46 20 Feb 2006

My thoughts exactly! The link amonra gave is very useful, thanks

spuds 17:58 20 Feb 2006

There's a difference between 'unblocking' and 'unlocking'. Unlocking is quite legal, and there are a large number of outlets for doing this. The usual fee is between £5/£10. In some cases, a straight forward sim card change is all that is needed to make a new connection. Tesco's were selling their own sim cards for less than £4.00 last week.

Unblocking is a definite no,no. It is illegal to unblock a mobile, due to the fact that the mobile was locked by the service provider, as the item had been reported stolen or lost, and the mobile will now be registered on a data base as such.

Regarding software, there are quite a number of software packages available. But that's another story.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:21 20 Feb 2006

You can buy Orange pay as you go cards for £1.76 on Ebay and this includes £1 credit as I know from experience ;-))

G

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 20 Feb 2006

You can get a free Virgin Simcard with £5 credit:

Free Virgin Mobile SIMs
click here

Orange free here at times:

Orange - the Orange shop
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?