Unlocking locked password on windows 8

SanderN24 13:16 15 Aug 2015
Answered

So I recieved my grandads PC who past away recently. Booted it up, to my surprise it actually worked! But then I had to fill in a password (which I completely forgot about). I haven't got a clue on what the pw could be. I want to use the PC but then fully 'factory' reset it anyway. If there's a reset button or something like that, I think that would be the best option. But I was thinking getting a new HD because I don't need the stuff on there anyway. If I would get a new HD would the password go away? Or is there just a simple type of reset button? (I should mension this is windows 8)

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 15 Aug 2015
Answer

Provided here is nothing on it you need.

power it on let windows start to boot then power off immediately do this 3 times and it should then boot to Advanced Tools menu - select repair this computer an from the next menu you can reset it to factory condition.

SanderN24 16:49 15 Aug 2015

Awesome thx! Now I need to buy a new Windows though, as it says I need to insert the windows installment :/ or am I doing something wrong?

BRYNIT 18:45 15 Aug 2015

Go to the manufacturer web site and look for the instruction Manual this hopefully should tell you how to rest the computer to factory default how the laptop was when first purchased using the recovery partition. If you are able to reset it to the original OS you should then be able to create a set of recovery disks allowing you to install on a new drive or even upgrade to Win 10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !