Unknown device in cast list

algernonymous 08:16 28 Mar 2019

I just went to cast to my Chromecast and in the Select a device list has appeared a device - a Fire stick - unknown to me. Does this mean someone is connecting to my router (and using my internet connection)? I live in a block of flats.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:44 28 Mar 2019

Is it a shared router across all the flats or your own?

If you are not sure that your own router is secure then change the router SSID and the password.

algernonymous 11:02 28 Mar 2019

Thanks for reply Fruit Bat. It's my own BT Hub 6 router. Did they crack the password to gain access to the list? If I change the items you state how do I know it won't happen again. Could you provide a link for straightforward instructions to change SSID and password please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 28 Mar 2019

Have you a smart TV they sometimes come with Fir TV installed as one of the apps?

instructions click here

Kevin Alders 15:39 28 Mar 2019

a device - a Fire stick - unknown to me. Does this mean someone is connecting to my router (and using my internet connection)? I live in a block of flats.

No. Fire TV uses Wi-Fi Direct. All your seeing is someone's device which is most probably in close proximity.

algernonymous 05:52 29 Mar 2019

Fruit bat - Yes I have Smart Tv's but no Fire TV appears in Players/Apps. Thanks for link . Kevin - so you're saying I have nothing to worry about? It did have a person's name on it in the device list.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:16 29 Mar 2019

I would be annoyed if someone was casting to my TV or device from another network

check your settings.

Kevin Alders 17:13 29 Mar 2019

Fruit bat - Yes I have Smart Tv's but no Fire TV appears in Players/Apps. Thanks for link . Kevin - so you're saying I have nothing to worry about? It did have a person's name on it in the device list.

There is no Fire TV App. Its an Amazon Device, so all your get on a SmartTV is the Amazon Prime App.

Correct you have nothing to worry about, as I said when you go to cast to your Chromecast the list will populate with all capable Wi-FI Direct devices nearby. That doesn't mean they are connected to your Local Area Network WI-FI Channel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 29 Mar 2019

Kevin Alders

Fire TV is built into some TVs since 2017 but only recently in the UK Toshiba and Insignia being the main sets.

Kevin Alders 18:43 29 Mar 2019

Ahhh.. You mean those cheap Vestel Sets that run Android as an OS.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans