Uninstalling live messenger Problems

GrimNir 09:57 15 Oct 2008

We had msn live messenger live. A new update came out this week. My daughter downloaded it and hated it. She lost custom sounds options and smiley faces etc. - So she tried to uninstall it to reinstall our original version 9. But it still read she had a newer version so couldn't. She then hunted down every reference to messenger msn she could find (and it was every where. In all users/default users/named users/ application data/program fimes/local settings/ temp files and loads more) it still wouldn't let her do it. So she did a search and deleted every msn file it found. Still No go says she has a newer version won't let her install the older one.
So now we tried to re-install the older one. This won't work either get error message 0x8000ffff critical failure.
How can I fix this? Get any version of a working messenger?? She's addicted to messenging her friends and driving me batty because she can't

All help greatly appreciated

GrimNir 09:59 15 Oct 2008

oops. meant we tried to install the new one again. when we got that error message, 0x8000fff

T I M B O 10:03 15 Oct 2008

Try a system restore before the new version of MSN Messenger.

Best of luck...........

ambra4 11:57 15 Oct 2008

Forget Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave files in the registry and on the hard

drive which will causes problem uninstalling and reinstalling programs use this program

Revo Uninstaller

click here

If the windows request message to reboot appear DO NOT click the NO button Revo will

now search the registry and hard drive for any files that is not required, just click the

Select All button and the Delete button if any left over files are found once the “Finish”

button appear you can than reboot the computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?