Uninstalled my cdrw- how do i get it back ?

grabster 20:37 28 Sep 2003

Whooops,dont ask why but ive uninstalled my cdr in device manager,now i cant get it back.
I keep gettin BSOD's and i wish i hadnt touched it now.
Any one care to enlighten me on how to put things back to normal ?

MAJ 20:43 28 Sep 2003

Normally if you re-boot your PC, Windows will pick it up again, grabster.

grabster 20:47 28 Sep 2003

Yep' thats what i thought before i done what i did,2 reboots on now im not too sure.

graham√ 20:51 28 Sep 2003

Turn off the PC and unplug the drive. Boot up then switch off again. Reconnect the drive and boot up.

Stuartli 21:24 28 Sep 2003

CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters use the basic Windows driver - it should reinstall itself without prompting after a reboot as suggested.

Ironman556 22:48 28 Sep 2003

Is it detected and listed in device manager but not working, or jut not detected?

grabster 23:03 28 Sep 2003

Thanks for the replys,the drive was not detected at all but after another reboot it popped up again,looks like i need an older version of firmware for my cdrw,mitsumi cr-48xete.
i've trawled the net but found no sign of an older version,my present version is 482w but it has forced my drive to take a-g-e-s to burn a cd,13 minutes for a 60 minute audio cd at 48x is just too long.no matter which speed i choose it takes ages.

grabster 23:12 28 Sep 2003

I've ticked this as resolved and started a new thread under the heading firmware.
Thanks for the replies all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts