Unfair treament by Wanadoo

zipdrive 19:54 25 Aug 2004

I have a Wanadoo 512K broadband connection for which I pay £27.99 a month. I noticed today that they are offering a 1Mb connection with a 30GB download quota a month for the same price.
I thought I would naturally update to the new service (who would'nt for the same price?). However when I spoke to the service people I was told I would have to pay £20 to upgrade. If I did not have an existing broadband connection there would be no fee. I can't believe they would charge an existing customer who has been loyal to them since day one when Freeserve was launched, this charge.

I would be interested to know what others think?

VoG II 20:00 25 Aug 2004

It is quite common for ISPs to make this type of offer to new customers only. It is a way of attracting customers to change brands.

I wouldn't describe it as "unfair" but I can understand why you are cheesed-off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 25 Aug 2004

Same thing works with insurance companies, it is cheapee to take out a new policy than renew the old.

Companies are constantly trying to attract new customers and seem to lose sight of thier existing ones.

In your case tell wannado to cancel the 512K broadband connection. and then If you don't want to go elsewhwer , immediately take out a new IMb contract (beware compulsory the 12 month contract).

fsbb 20:45 25 Aug 2004

I believe you will find the £20 fee is only payable by an existing customer who is still within the minimum 12 month contract term. Otherwise there is no charge for re-grading to a different package.

I was 1 month outside of minimum contract and paid nothing to re-grade.

Madpad_001 21:16 25 Aug 2004

I am also a wanadoo customer, I also wanted to upgrade to the 1MB connection. I went on line but was told to ring up, so I did (piont to note the voice mail message said for upgrading customers must go to www. etc so it will be a never ending curcle) when I finaly managed to speak to a rep they said yes no problem we will upgrade my account free of charge (I am still in my 12mth contract with 30 days to go.)

But to cut a lomg story short I was never charged the £20 fee so don't know what they are doing to you.

Djohn 21:16 25 Aug 2004

Yes I see your point and it does seem a little unfair but as above many companies do this to attract new business. To be fair to the ISP as well, the fee for upgrading your connection is not to line their pockets at your expense, it's what they have to pay to BT wholesale to make adjustment at the exchange.

zipdrive 22:03 25 Aug 2004

Thanks for all your replies

I phoned again and was told as I was outside of a 12 month contract I could upgrade for free. I asked several times if there was an upgrade charge and was assure there would not be. I was asked to upgrade online following the link they gave me. Funny though it did say there would be a £20 upgrade charge on one of the pages.

It could be interesting if I do get this charge added to my direct debit?

zipdrive 22:04 25 Aug 2004

Thanks for all your replies

I phoned again and was told as I was outside of a 12 month contract I could upgrade for free. I asked several times if there was an upgrade charge and was assure there would not be. I was asked to upgrade online following the link they gave me. Funny though it did say there would be a £20 upgrade charge on one of the pages.

It could be interesting if I do get this charge added to my direct debit?

Fatboy415 22:27 25 Aug 2004

I changed from Virgin.net to Wanadoo 3 weeks ago only to hear this news today. I think I will phone to find out what they have to say. Will report back.

Fatboy415

SirGalahad2004 17:54 03 Sep 2004

just upgraded to 1 MP and 30gig . I'm outside 12 mth contract and not been charged the £20

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?