Unexpected connection to Internet

tootrock 10:12 14 Sep 2003

Recently my laptop has started connecting to the Internet randomly, so that I have to diconnect it from the phone line in my absence to prevent potential massive phone bills.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that this might be due to a virus. I have an up-to-date virus checker installed.
Can anyone help?

VoG II 10:16 14 Sep 2003

Might be spyware. Try running Spybot click here

Newuser579 10:29 14 Sep 2003

I've never 'ticked the box' so I don't know, but outlook express has options for how often to check for new messages, & connect if not online. Perhaps these settings are responsible. I don't know why they would have altered.

Peverelli 15:29 14 Sep 2003

Have you tried this? In Outlook Express, go to Tools > Options and on the General tab (underneath "If my computer is not connected at this time") select "do not connect". Also untick "Send and receive messages at startup".

choffe 15:42 14 Sep 2003

try control+alt+delete to see which programs are running, once you have located the offending program go to Start-find-files or folders and type in the program name which was running to locate its wareabouts on the hard disk, then, delete it, if it says acess denied ctr+alt+del and left click the program then click end task then try to delete it again..
mcaffe suite is a good program to clear away any remaining scraps of program that may be left.
bit of a barbarric way to resolve problem, but it works.

Peverelli 15:58 14 Sep 2003

..but the program may be needed elsewhere, we just need to stop it dialling.

choffe 16:12 14 Sep 2003

unfortunately barbarism is usually my only advice...sorry..

graham√ 17:17 14 Sep 2003

tootrock must be waiting for the next random connection, VoG!

VoG II 17:20 14 Sep 2003

ROFLMAO :o)))

tootrock 18:17 14 Sep 2003

Thanks VoG,
I tried running Spybot (from a PC Advisor disc!) and the problem seems to have been cured. If it happens again I will try one of the other solutions. Fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)