Undoing Association

RogerB 15:24 25 Oct 2004

I've just loaded Adobe6 from a CD, but when I clicked on a .pdf file, Windows asked what programme I wanted it to work on. Adobe wasn't listed, so I clicked 'other', and clicked on a file in the Adobe directory, but it came up with an error message. Presumably I should have entered the full path, but I can't get out of the 'Syntax error' message. I seem to remember a hint in a past mag help article on how to change associations, or cancel them; if it's available on the web, how do I access it? Or how do I get back to square 1 to start again?

Sethhaniel 15:30 25 Oct 2004

select open with then open with to choose -
or right click on then click properties opens with - change

RogerB 16:16 25 Oct 2004

Thanks - I've tried this - cicked 'Other' and got the directory tree. Where it says 'Look in' I've typed C:\program files\adobe (which is where I copied the programme to from the CD), then it asks for a file name. There are 3 shown: instmsia.exe, instmsiw.exe and setup.exe. I've chosen the first and eventually got it accepted in the 'Open with' box. But all the others in the box are programmes, (Winword, Paintshop etc), not files. Why should I have to pick a file before it accepts it? And when I click on a .pdf file on the CD, I still get this box that says 'Command line option syntax error, type Command/? for help'. I've done that, but just get a load of DOS gobbledegook which doesn't help much, except to suggest putting in the full path in the 'Open with' box, which I've done, but still no joy. Any further ideas? Ta muchly!

Diemmess 16:24 25 Oct 2004

Try Windows Help - "associating files"

Sparrowhawk 16:27 25 Oct 2004

1- OPEN WINDOWS EXPLORER
2- In MenuBar, click on TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS...
3- Select tab 'FILE TYPES'
4- For each EXTENSION, re-assign a FILE TYPE

Hope this helps

Sparrowhawk 16:28 25 Oct 2004

1- OPEN WINDOWS EXPLORER

2- In MenuBar, click on TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS...

3- Select tab 'FILE TYPES'

4- For each EXTENSION, re-assign a FILE TYPE

Hope this helps

RogerB 19:58 25 Oct 2004

Many thanks to all - I (or the computer) was still confused, but the gremlins disappeared after I reloaded Adobe in /Windows/Desktop rather than /Program Files. Still don't know what went wrong, but I was getting stupid messages all round like it wouldn't recognise .pdf as an extension, saying that .pdf was already in use as .pdf_auto_file, or even .pdf_auto_filefile! Ah well, only four hours wasted, but all seems to be OK now. Full marks, and many thanks, to the Help Forum - again!

RogerB 19:59 25 Oct 2004

Resolved now - thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?