Undelivered Mail that I hadn’t (knowingly) sent

prester-john 21:15 13 Nov 2018

I have received several messages of this sort ( ‘[at]’ for ‘@’, to avoid risk from accidental clicking):

“ Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 2 second(s): * danboe1[at]mac.com Reason: The following message to danboe1[at]mac.com was undeliverable.The reason for the problem: 550 5.7.1 [CS01] Message rejected due to local policy. Please visit https:[double/]support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137” It was (apparently) sent from mailer-daemon[at]tiscali.co.uk.

Previewing the attached ATT text showed: “From [girl’s name], address [my correct address][at]tiscali.co.uk, and a string of characters.
Others, similar, have different girls’ names (still attached to my tiscali address), different names/addresses of non-recipient (as DanBoe above). Five so far. What is someone trying to do? What should I do/not do?

wee eddie 21:36 13 Nov 2018

Do nothing. Don't respond in any way. A Spammer has been spoofing your address. He/she probably picked it at random

john bunyan 21:55 13 Nov 2018

A bit similar to my Talk Talk

other thread

I delete these on the TT web server if I spot them

MJS WARLORD 23:06 13 Nov 2018

even though your email was spammed the intended targets email address did not exist so it came back to you , I could be wrong though , anyway , on my btmail account if I send an email to a disussed address "Damion mailer" sends the undelivered report to me.

Secret-Squirrel 12:36 14 Nov 2018

> I have received several messages of this sort ...................... > It was (apparently) sent from > mailer-daemon[at]tiscali.co.uk.........What is someone trying to do?

It's highly likely that the spammers are using your email address and password to send spam by logging on as you to the Tiscali SMTP server. There's a lot of it about - especially since TalkTalk and BT customers had their details hacked. When a spam email fails to reach its intended recipient, you get the undeliverable notification.

> What should I do/not do?

What you should do is to change your Tiscali mail password.

Secret-Squirrel 16:52 14 Nov 2018

My earlier reply lost some of its formatting so here's another attempt:

I have received several messages of this sort ...................... > It was (apparently) sent from > mailer-daemon[at]tiscali.co.uk.........What is someone trying to do?

It's highly likely that the spammers are using your email address and password to send spam by logging on as you to the Tiscali SMTP server. There's a lot of it about - especially since TalkTalk and BT customers had their details hacked. When a spam email fails to reach its intended recipient, you get the undeliverable notification.

What should I do/not do?

What you should do is to change your Tiscali mail password. If you do nothing, and my hunch is correct, your ISP may suspend your account.

Remember to reply this time please.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?