Unable to update Windows 10

Roadgiant 08:03 02 Dec 2015
Answered

In August my PC upgraded from W7 to W10 and apart from a few graphic issues has been fine The current version of W10 I am running is build 10240 Windows update says tells me there is an update to build 10586

It downloads and attempts to install but then comes up with the following

"There isnt enough memory available to create a ramdisc device" Error code 0xc0000017

You need to use recovery tools

I then have the following options

Enter to try again - no response F8 Startup Settings - no response F9 Different opp system this takes me back to Windows 10 with build 10240

I have 4GB of Ram and 99Gb free on my primary HD

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciate

Running Windows 10 32-bit Model 23 Stepping 10 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 3070 Mb Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, 1024 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 96589 MB; J: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 20086 MB; Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D

The C is my primary drive

Govan1x 08:58 02 Dec 2015

Go to disk clean up and run that and if it does not find 22gb to remove another box should have opened click on clean up system files and run that. if windows old is on your computer that will remove it and you will have another 22gb of space on your hard drive.

Govan1x 09:00 02 Dec 2015

Oops sorry it is a memory problem that you have so ignore last.

Govan1x 09:16 02 Dec 2015

Try left clicking on the start menu and type memory and click on Diagnose your computer memory problems. See if that shows any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 02 Dec 2015

4G RAm should be plenty windows often uses the word memory during installs when it means disk space. Plenty of space on C very little on J lookes as if its using J for temporary files.

can you make space on J by deleting stuff or moving some to C?

Roadgiant 17:46 05 Dec 2015

Thanks for the suggestions, I have taken a lot off stuff of the J drive (now got 160 GB+ free.

I have done a disc clean-up.

Currently the update file doesn't appear to be on the PC, only some graphics driver update for some reason, is there anyway of forcing it to download so I can try again?

Thanks RG

alanrwood 19:11 05 Dec 2015

I would forget about trying to fix this and start off from scratch. Download the latest Media Creation Tool on to a USB memory stick (which includes all the current updates bar a one). Access the Mem stick and click on Setup and allow it to reinstall windows from scratch with all the current updates bar one included. You have already done the online update so it will not need to be activated. Takes a couple of hours but far quicker than trying to sort it out in the current installation.

robin_x 21:18 05 Dec 2015

Agree with Alan.

Make DVD or USB with Media Creation Tool, or just use it to download the iso file.

Right click iso, Mount and run setup.exe

alanrwood 11:03 06 Dec 2015

If you download the latest version of the Media Creation Tool then it downloads the latest version of Win 10 including all the updates since release. If the machine has already been updated to ensure the serial number is held by Microsoft the it does a complete up to date reinstall of Windows 10 and it is possible to retain your programs and data. This takes about 90 mins usually and wipes everything clean as far as Windows is concerned. If this fails then you have a hardware problem which would need more investigation. It seems sensible to eliminate the possibility of a software issue first as this is a zero cost option.

Roadgiant 17:47 27 Dec 2015
Answer

First of all thanks to everyone who replied on this thread and apologies to the length of time to respond.

I finally managed to resolve this problem today after countless internet searches, reboots and fresh downloads via Media Creation Tool.

The error I was getting 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 (and by the look of many other posts others as well) was caused by a problem with the PFA (Predictive Failure Analysis) memory list. I resolved it by using the method listed here How to Manage the PFA Memory List

I have finally managed to update to the latest W10 build

Hopefully the above information will be helpful to other people experiencing a similar problem

alanrwood 11:34 28 Dec 2015

Thanks for getting back with the solution. Hopefully it will be useful to others as this was a bit obscure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review

Butcher Billy's Black Mirror artwork is coming to vinyl for the first time

Is the Apple Store down? What's Apple launching?

Comment modifier le DPI d’une souris ?