unable to uninstall xp

Leslie-212488 21:28 28 Jan 2005

ok, i have a dual boot system, win98se and xp,
xp is has not been activated(i was experimenting)
i have the xp reinstallation disk by the way.
i tried to uninstall, delete and reformat the partition, which contains xp, by usinG FDISK and by going througt the COMMAND PROMPT, IN XP and win98, i even tried using system32/osuninst.exe.
something i saw on click here.

APPARENTLY BECAUSE XP WAS NEVER ACTIVATED IT'S MISSING REGISTRITATION INFORMATION.
i only installed xp about ten days ago, it told me i must activate it, i said, later. now it will not alow me to log on.every time i go to log on, it tells me to activate it.

I have played with xp long enough, i just want to delete it.
if needed i will just have to take drastic action and use a utility to scrub the whole drive.
how can remove xp.Do i have to ring the activation line to get the missing info?
i wont be able to post back until monday, as the offending pc is back at work.

VoG II 21:36 28 Jan 2005

Frankly, I am amazed that your IT department has allowed you to get away with this shennanegans.

Can we assume that you have installed a cracked copy of XP? If not, why can you not simply activate it?

Leslie-212488 15:36 29 Jan 2005

vog, this has nothing to do with the IT dept.
A dept got a PC from Dell, it had xp pro installed.in order for it to be networked, xp was removed and 2000 installed. xp was used for about three weeks, top. anyway it seemed a shame to waste the disk, os i installed xp on an old P2 machine that i have in the workshop, just to see what would happen. rang ms to activate it, but was told it is an OEM disk. so i now want to uninstall it. i have xp on my laptp at home, i dont know if that will be of help to me

FelixTCat 16:14 29 Jan 2005

Boot into Win98 and make a Win98 boot disk. Delete all the XP files (they ARE on a different partition, aren't they?). Reboot. If it offers to dual-boot into XP, load dos-only and run "fdisk /mbr". If it won't boot at all, use the Win98 boot disk to boot and run "sys c:" Reboot to Win98 and delete ntdetect.com, ntldr etc

Bingo! All gone.

Leslie-212488 22:33 31 Jan 2005

felixtcat,
i could not get rig of xp using fdisk, xp was in the extended partition, when i tried to delete it,
it said"containes logical drives". when i tried to delete the logical drives, it said "no logical drives defined". in the end i performed a low level format on the drive. That worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?