UNABLE TO READ PREVIOUSLY SAVED WORD97 FILE

rufino 15:51 23 Jul 2003

3 MONTHS BACK I HAD CREATED A FILE IN WORD97 AND SAVED IT ON 3 1/2 FLOPPY (A:DRIVE).
FILENAME : B.P. READINGS MAY 2002. I AM NOW UNABLE TO READ IT. I TRIED NORTONS "NDD" E.G. DISK DOCTOR, DEFRAG, SCANREG ALL WITHOUT SUCCESS.
THE PC IS 1999 DELL. I CAN ALL OTHER WORD FILES EXCEPT THIS ONE. IS THERE ANY PROGRAM TO TRACK THE FAULTY FILE ?

recap 16:22 23 Jul 2003

Have a look at the file extension it should be a .doc file. If it isn't then right click the file and you should be able to select "Open with" try opening it in say Notepad or Wordpad. Make sure the tick is out of the box to always open with.

xania 16:53 23 Jul 2003

Its never a good idea to save your only copy of an important file to a single floppy disc - you never know what can go wrong. Always take at least one extra copy in case yoiu get a faulty floppy.

When you say you can't read it, I assume you mean that you can see its there (there's an entry for the file). If not, the file is not there or has been deleted. You can try undelete, but I doubt you'll have too much luck. If the entry is there, right click this and check properties. Check the file size - you could find that the file is empty. ALso try loading the file through something like Wordpad.

Gaz W 17:17 23 Jul 2003

Have you tried Windows Scandisk?

If the file is there but Word refuses to open it or the computer freezes, etc, the file could be corrupt or that section of the disk could be damaged. I have had to "repair" several floppy disks because of this.

Mostly problems are caused by people taking the disk out of the drive before the green light has gone off, while it is saving. This might not be the case with your disk, but still try Scandisk, because it might just be a small problem that Norton didn't pick up.

Jean-Luc Picard 17:34 23 Jul 2003

What version of word has it been saved with. Are you usig the same system/office software now as you were when you saved the file. It may be a compatability issue.

VoG II 18:19 23 Jul 2003
  Confab 18:27 23 Jul 2003

Try bad copy pro from here click here Its a trial version but it gives you a few attempts at data recovery before you have to buy the full version. Its recovered quite a few lost/corrupt files for me and I would recommend it

BlueMeanie 18:14 25 Jul 2003

Go to a DOS prompt,and having a blank floppy ready, try Diskcopy a: a: ensuring that the original is wtite-protected.

When the disk is copied, and using the newly created disk try reading the file using Notepad and/or Wordpad. If the file can be read, save as a RTF Rich Text Format and then read this file using Word.

This worked last time for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?