Unable to install XP SP3

m800afc 22:19 02 Feb 2010

Windows XP Pro SP2; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM

Following an enforced repair of XP Pro, I am unable to install SP3. The installation fails with the message that the installation has encountered a problem and will close. On closing I get a message saying the update was not installed, and when I try to examine the update history Microsoft's website says it has encountered a problem and cannot display the information required.
I have tried the installation both in normal mode and safe mode and the installation fails in both modes.
Any ideas as to what to try next?

john bunyan 22:22 02 Feb 2010

Follow links here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:47 02 Feb 2010

Your anti virus / antispyware may be blocking access to the registry.

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.
click here

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

natdoor 17:00 03 Feb 2010

Are you getting the install wizard presented to perform the update? It provides more specific information on the cause of a failed installation than you are seeing and hould enable the rquired fix to be identified. I don't think this appears for a manual download.

For example,I recently had a problem installing Xp SP3.I had automatic update set and an installation started. Then the wizard appeared and seemed to wish to start installation in parallel. Eventually I killed the first process and allowed the wizard to function. The wizard indicates which activities are being performed and the failure occurred at the setting up of a restore point. The failure message was "unable to write to or read from the database". With this information I was able to locate a solution. A fix of the cryptographic service was required. See here /click here and here click here

m800afc 19:36 07 Feb 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for the advice, it did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?