Unable to Delete Folders From External Drive

Newuser4165 10:50 16 Oct 2016

Using Win7 Home I find I cannot delete any files or folders from an external sata drive connected via USB - access denied.The drive was originally installed in a now defunct WinXP machine .It's probably related to the Drive/Folder permissions but try as I may in the folder properties section I cannot get full control of this drive or it's contents but can read and write to it.Can some one tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 16 Oct 2016

1. Right-click the file or folder on which you want to take the ownership and then click on Properties.

2. Go to the Security tab, click on Advanced button and then click the Owner tab.

3. click on Edit and do the following:
    Under the “Change owner to:” section, select the user or group to which you would like to grant the permissions and then click on the OK button.
    If the user or the group to which you would like to grant permissions is not listed under the Change owner to: section, just click on Other users and groups and, under Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

4. Now you should get the confirmation dialog box stating that the ownership is granted.

Newuser4165 22:54 17 Oct 2016

Hi Fruit Bat -- I've tried your instructions but am still unable to get ownership of the files to be deleted.To save any more time I've backed up the files/folders I wish to keep to a separate hard drive and have reformatted the problem disk.Then copied backup files to the reformatted disk.Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo confirms Find X2 flagship phone for 2020

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Soldes d’hiver 2020 : dates, sites participants et bons plans