Hot Topics

Unable to connect to internet

mnt23 14:05 31 Mar 2020

Good afternoon,

Following the recent Windows 10 Update it took much longer for my PC to establish an internet connection. This then became intermittent and now it won't do it at all. It will say it's connected to the network, and that it has internet access (although it takes longer to get this information than it used to) but I can't connect to the internet.

When I ran the network diagnostic tool it initially came up with the following error:

Primary DNS server not responding (I can't remember the exact wording and can't reproduce it now)

Having tried some fixes it now comes up with:

Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

All other devices in the house are connected fine, and I am currently submitting this tethered off my phone which is connected to the Wi-Fi.

I have tried a number of fixes suggested online:

Restarting my PC

Restarting my router

Updating my network adaptor drivers (they did need an update but it didn't solve the issue)

Uninstalling my network adaptor and then having windows reinstall and update it.

Releasing and renewing my IP address

Flushing my DNS info (not entirely sure what I was doing with the last 2, just following isntructions) Finally, re-installing windows, but opting to keep my apps and files. I do now get a slightly different error from the diagnostic tool:

Default gateway not available

None of this has got me anywhere, I can still connect to the network but not the internet. The network sign on my task bar intermittently shows connected no internet, connected with internet, not connected, but regardless I can never access the internet.

I am running Windows 10. hardware details are:

Network Adaptor - Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3168

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 @3.6 GHz

RAM - 8GB

Anyone got any ideas? I'd rather avoid wiping everything and starting again if I can.

mikeyrh 13:36 01 Apr 2020

Hello mnt23, this link opens a page on the Softpedia website which details connectivity issues, Microsoft have just released an update to cure a known bug, it may help you. click here

mnt23 15:04 01 Apr 2020

Hi mikeyrh,

Thanks for the steer. I installed the patch for my version of windows but unfortunately I am still getting the same error.

x13 15:46 01 Apr 2020

Have you gone through Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's extensive list?

mnt23 16:01 01 Apr 2020

No, not yet. Will post on here when I have.

x13 16:19 01 Apr 2020

I've a feeling that the wlan card might be failing though I hope I'm wrong. If nothing works then the easiest way around it is to get a dual band wi-fi USB dongle.

mnt23 17:55 06 Apr 2020

I've just turned my PC on to start working through the solutions above, and it does now connect, but with an incredibly slow speed (0.08Mbps).

Would this fit with the wifi card failing?

x13 18:34 06 Apr 2020

I would think so. It's not as if it's not working, it's just working poorly. Mine just died on an old laptop so I just bought a cheap dongle.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HBO Max enters the streaming wars with US launch

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

macOS 10.15.5 Catalina improves battery health and fixes Finder crash bug

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans