unable to connect to home wifi

immer 17:45 15 Nov 2013

I have a problem connecting an aquired old dell WXP laptop to my home wifi. It detects the network ok but when I try to type in the password/ ID it just makes a bong noise I refuses the type.(Yes I disabled the firewall.) I've connected other laptops with no problems but I think I must have forgotten what I did. Main PC on W7.

immer 22:11 15 Nov 2013

The problem seems to be in the old Dell laptop BIOS which contain an administrator long lost password locking out new connections. Does anyone know how to clear a motherboard admin password ?

rdave13 22:22 15 Nov 2013

It might be ingrained on a bios chip. Your best bet is to note the lappies specifications and product number etc. and join a Dell forum or contact Dell themselves. email support Dell, your problem is low priority I guess so give them an email, with as much facts about the lappy, as possible. Good luck.

rdave13 22:32 15 Nov 2013

Email support is here, a link within the link I gave but may be harder to find in the original link.

immer 15:13 17 Nov 2013

Thanks. Tried removing both the big & little round battery for five mins but no change, though I wonder if the hard drive might have reset it on startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sea of Thieves Review

Dell Canvas review: the cheap Wacom Cintiq alternative

How to use iMovie for Mac, tips and more

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?