UK to US power plug conversion -help

  portofcall 11:22 26 Jan 2005

Am heading to the States for 3 months. Would like to take both laptop and PC with me. I'm not sure how this works. Is it as simple as a "electric razor plug in conversion " (me thinks not but....) or something more sinister? I'm running 4 year old F/Seimens PC and 2 year old Compaq laptop. Wouldn't want to burn the house down or blow myself up. Thanks.

  johnnyrocker 11:23 26 Jan 2005

you will need some form of step transformer because of the voltage differences.


  Audeal 11:26 26 Jan 2005

UK 240 Volts: US 110 Volts. I believe that is correct.

  johnnyrocker 11:28 26 Jan 2005

uk is now generally 220v in line with europe but us is correct so a transformer will be required for each piece of mains electronics in use.


  MartinT-B 11:34 26 Jan 2005

Some laptops are able to use different voltages, in the same way that many electric shavers can. You could check your manual.

IIRC the USA runs on 120 Volts (60Hz)

Bear in mind that Desktop Computers in the US are cheaper than the UK. Friends of ours who emigrated to Cananda (120V too) sold their 2 year old Dell for £150 (with all accessories) and bought a new one when they arrived. Less hassle as there was no shipping costs, no danger of damage on route, no worries about the Voltage conversion and they got a new spec PC.

  georgemac © 11:38 26 Jan 2005

check your laptop power adapter - I imagine many of them accept either 110 volt or 240 volt input - the same as many camera chargers etc, if this is the case then a travel plug will suffice

for the pc - check the back of the power supply where the lead goes in, and see if there is a selector switch - it will be set to 240 - click here for what it looks like.

If there is one, you should be OK. When you reach the us you can select 115 volts before powering it up - but you also need to check your monitor, pretty sure it will be 240 volts

it will cost a lot to ship monitor/pc there and back for 3 months - do you really need to take the pc, or perhaps take the pc but buy a monitor over there?

  bazb 11:40 26 Jan 2005

If you look at the back of your PC, were the mains cable enters the PSU, it's possible that it could have a dual voltage switch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A8 review: Hands-on

Majority of illustrators don’t earn enough to live from, new survey shows

iPhone X problems

Word gratuit : comment télécharger le logiciel de Microsoft ?