Typing thing, should be easy to those that know

bumpkin 19:58 05 May 2010

Hi everyone, I am trying to set up a word document
to print cheques. I am almost there but need to know how to do a half return, ie instead of return to the next line it only spaces half a line down.

wiz-king 20:51 05 May 2010

As far as I know - you cant. if you want the 1/2 spaced line to be blank or underline then you can put in a small font size.

wiz-king 20:53 05 May 2010

PS I would do it in Excel - much easier to adjust spacing.

bumpkin 21:06 05 May 2010

Thanks wiz-king,
I had not thought of changing the font size, that could well work I will try it and post back.
Could probably do it using Excel but I wanted to
keep as simple as possible.

Alan2 21:50 05 May 2010

When you want to have - as you call a "half line" space - hold the shift key down as you press return.

bumpkin 15:22 06 May 2010

Hello, thanks for your suggestions, I possibly did not explain too well.
What I actually require is to move the whole of the text down by about 3mm by whatever is the easiest means.

Sea Urchin 16:01 06 May 2010

If you literally did a half-return the two lines would print running into each other, but Word can of course select how you space the lines. Go to Format - Paragraph - under Spacing, and in the Line Spacing box change to At Least or Exactly, and then play with the point settings. You should be able to find a setting that will do as you require.

Pineman100 17:29 06 May 2010

bumpkin - wouldn't the easiest solution be to place all your text into text boxes? You can then make small adjustments to the positioning of the text box on the page.

bumpkin 21:34 06 May 2010

Thanks for your replies, I did this in a text box
to start with but could never manage to move it to
the right place.
Will try suggestions again.

bumpkin 21:38 06 May 2010

Just want to move the text down 3mm. Adjust the top margin? or am I on the wrong track.

bumpkin 15:38 07 May 2010

thanks again everyone, I think separate text boxes for each line is the answer I tried to use just one
text box for the whole thing, thanks Pineman.
One last thing, can a text box be place absolutely anywhere on the page or are there limitations?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?