two ISP one P.C

D.Head 14:20 10 Apr 2006

Can I have two ISP,s set up on one P.C..
Virgin is my ISP at the moment, but I have to change to BT. I want keep and use my Virgin E-mail address but don't know how.

Can any one help please

dave

SANTOS7 14:23 10 Apr 2006

You will need a modem and use virgins P.A.Y.G. to retrieve your email......

Dipso 14:40 10 Apr 2006

You may not have to go that far. I have a Virgin email account that I have had since they were my ISP about 3 years ago. I just changed the sending server settings in OE to those of my new ISP which allowed me to send mail and could collect as normal also. I did get a couple of emails from them saying if I wanted to keep my email accounts active I would have to dial in once every 3 months but I did this a couple of times (only for a few seconds to collect any mail) and haven't been asked since.

Otherwise, you could just use their webmail service click here I just tried and can still access it.

Stuartli 14:58 10 Apr 2006

Setting up a PAYG account will guarantee keeping the Virgin e-mail address - you only need to use it perhaps once a month.

I have a similar arrangement for my Tiscali dialup e-mail address, which I prefer, to the BB version.

You can install as many ISP service connections as you wish on your system - just ensure that your main one is set as the Default Provider.

Fingees 14:59 10 Apr 2006

I use two ISPs one mainly for Email on pay as you go dial up, the other Broadband..
I connect for a few minutes each month to dialup, as it could expire after 90 days of non use.

I know some people find they can access their old account after a long time, but for what it costs, about 10p per month in my case. It's not worth the risk of losing it.

All the best.

D.Head 16:23 10 Apr 2006

Many thanks to you all.But if I have a broadband on B.T. and a P.A.Y.G. on Virgin, how do I get them to work ?. At tho moment when I clik on explorer it just go,s to virgin.net. I just don't know how to chang it.

Dave

Stuartli 16:38 10 Apr 2006

Go to Tools>Internet Options>General tab (this is for IE) whilst you are logged on to BT's home page.

Select Current Page for your home page and Apply (IIRC) and then OK.

Firefox is a similar method. You will also have to set BT as your Default ISP from Internet Options>Connections.

ened 17:50 10 Apr 2006

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I have changed from Freeserve to Tiscali and have always had an fs.net mail address.

I am still using this address to receive mail.

Is it likely to expire after a time because I am not using Freesreve at all to connect?

D.Head 20:15 10 Apr 2006

Many thanks to all.Stuartli That tool,s thing is just what I needed thanks.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?