Two Computers One Monitor

  RobCharles1981 13:40 20 Jun 2010


What device or contraption would I need? ie I've been asked to take a look at a computer and would also like to use my own computer while I work on the other at the same time.

I've seen these gadgets about but I can't place what they are called?


  northumbria61 14:17 20 Jun 2010

You need something like this.

click here

  northumbria61 14:18 20 Jun 2010

Click on "Where to Buy" along the top headings.

  northumbria61 14:25 20 Jun 2010

There's a list of available one's at Amazon and various prices - the Belkin one I gave you above is listed at £25.90 - but there are cheaper options if you are only going to use it once.

click here

  DieSse 14:56 20 Jun 2010

Does your monitor have two inputs? - A VGA and a DVI?

If so you connect each computer to the different inputs, and can switch between them on the monitor.

This is exactly how I do what you want to do. My computer is on the DVI input - all others that come my way go onto the VGA input. I keep a cable permanently in the VGA input, and merely have plug into the "secondary" computer.

If you don't have two inputs, then you need an external switch, as or similar to the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?