TV-out

medicine hat 13:36 05 Jul 2004

I was walking around Currys yesterday and noticed that new TVs seem to come with d-sub/dvi cable connections. I haven't connected a computer to a TV since I last used my old Atari STE and it kinda got me thinking.

There is a TV-out (s-video) on my graphics card but what would the image quality be like? Is it feasible to type an email on an ordinary CRT TV? My 28" widescreen doesn't have an s-video connector so is there a cable that will take that output, combine it with the soundcard output and go to a scart connector?

Just wondering if anyone has done this and what they thought of the results. Thanks.

SEASHANTY 14:53 05 Jul 2004

Reading text on a TV screen is not all that good due
to the lower resolution of a TV compared to a PC
monitor. However you might get reasonable results
watching a DVD movie. You need a S-video + stereo
jack to scart plug. Or with a twin phono to stereo
jack adaptor. Plenty of combinations. Check out
some of the cables and adaptors on this website
click here

SEASHANTY 15:01 05 Jul 2004

Somebody who connects TV out on PC to TV set using
the above type of setup on this previous thread
click here
I do not now use this method - its far easier watching DVD films on a domestic player connected direct to the TV. It was too much hassle the other way having cables from the PC to the TV. I have quite enough cables connected to the main TV as it is.

sedgi 15:05 05 Jul 2004

As Seashanty says, no good for text. I`ve connected my radeon to my 28" widescreen using a scart to Av1 to watch DVD and the picture is fine you have to play around with the settings a bit and make sure that the primary output is set to the Tv, I also play games on the Tv much better than using a pokey monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?