Turn off beeps in BIOS

chub_tor 15:58 16 Jun 2008

I wasn't quite sure how go title this topic but the situation is as follows. I built this machine using an ECS NForce6M-A Motherboard click here earlier this year. It works fine and I have no problems with it.

But I have never had any beeps as the machine boots up, not even the customary one to show that all is well. I have checked the internal speaker for continuity, I have reversed the speaker connections (not that it should make any difference) Because there are 3 pins and two wires I have tried connecting the speaker between signal and earth and also signal and line. All to no effect.

So I am wondering if there is a BIOS feature that I have missed which might turn off the beeps - I've never heard of such a thing, nor would I consider it desirable, but unless that part of the motherboard is not working I can't think of any other reason why I don't get the OK beep.

Any suggestions?

johndrew 16:22 16 Jun 2008

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and in common with you I have never had any general indicators on boot up since new. The only time it `contacted` me was when I left the PS/2 keyboard unplugged and a nice lady told me, "No keyboard detected." - that came as a surprise!!!! Now that I have read the manual I am aware this motherboard uses vocal POST messages for pretty much all failures.

Whether this is a feature of other boards or not I`m not sure, perhaps some are now designed only to provide audible notification (beeps/vocal) in the event of failure - which would make sense.

micemews 16:30 16 Jun 2008

This probably won't help at all but for what it is worth I have a pc which I built using an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and the motherboard beeps once when it starts up.

crosstrainer 16:57 16 Jun 2008

I have an elitegroup sli board in my XP rig....Never let out a beep in it's life :)

chub_tor 17:00 16 Jun 2008

That's exactly what I would expect my motherboard to do. I have probably built 8 or 9 PC's over the years and this is the first one that has never beeped once on start up.

MAT ALAN 18:10 16 Jun 2008

click here

the only way i know to turn them on/off is a regedit

the values will show as "yes" "no" or "0" "1" without the exclamation marks of course

Stuartli 18:18 16 Jun 2008

>>motherboard beeps once when it starts up.>>

This should be the norm - it's an indication that the motherboard has a "good" signal from the PSU.

Stuartli 18:25 16 Jun 2008

IIRC the correct term is "Good Post".

chub_tor 19:07 16 Jun 2008

These are not system beeps this is the beep as Stuartli says should be the norm to say "Good Post". That's the one I don't get.

MAT ALAN 19:10 16 Jun 2008

Course it is, me idiot, sorry about that, gonna keep lookin tho!!!

Fingees 19:31 16 Jun 2008

I built a machine last year, using a MSI motherboard.

On completion, I queried with the supplier that there were no post beeps.

I was told there was not meant to be, and if there was a great problem it would emit a loud screech.

Since then, I have found that many new pcs no longer use post beeps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)