Trying to upload a web page created on Word

NeilUK 11:55 14 Dec 2003

Hi ,

I used the help article in a recent issue of Tips and Tricks to create a web page using Word. However when I have got to the stage of uploading to a server I have no idea what to do. I uploaded all the files to 0catch.com and then just don't know what to do to actually make it my web page. I have tried their help feature and it is permanantly offline. Please help if you can

Neil UK

Pesala 13:13 14 Dec 2003

What you need to use it is an internet address:

Mine at NTL is:

http:// homepage.ntlworld.com/ bpesala/ aimwell/ index.html

For your webspace provider I assume that it will be similar.

http:// this bit will probably be the same

homepage.ntlworld.com = 0catch.com or homepage.0catch.com or whatever they say it should be

bpesala = your username (probably)

aimwell = this is just a folder on my webspace, you may not need this bit

index.html = this will be the name of the html file that you uploaded.

Finally you get a link like this:

click here

Pesala 13:15 14 Dec 2003

Obviously, you get an error message when you click on this link, because the username is wrong.

"The file you are searching for is not located on our servers. Please check your spelling. File names may be case sensitive. Please verify the URL as this is the most common reason for this error."

Pesala 13:55 14 Dec 2003

Obviously, you get an error message when you click on this link, because the username is wrong.

"The file you are searching for is not located on our servers. Please check your spelling. File names may be case sensitive. Please verify the URL as this is the most common reason for this error."

Pesala 13:59 14 Dec 2003

I got an error message and thought the post hadn't been sent.

Pesala 13:59 14 Dec 2003

I got an error message and thought the post hadn't been sent.

NeilUK 14:35 14 Dec 2003

I think I am confused because of the way Word seperates the web page I have created. I have uploaded all the files but I do not know which file should be the index.html. Should that be the one I called homepage? Do I need to convert the Word web pages to html first ?
I may look for another provider as there is no help at all on 0catch.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Neil UK

Diodorus Siculus 15:04 14 Dec 2003

Homepage should be called index.html or index.htm (either is acceptable; stick with one naming convention in all your web authoring).

Diodorus Siculus 15:08 14 Dec 2003

PS - all pages should be converted to / saved as html before uploading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?