Trying to upgrade CPU, not going well

BurnTheObedient 00:19 14 Mar 2018

Hey all, first time poster. Looking for some advice

I have a Gigabyte GA-H110M-A mobo EVGA GTX 1060 EVGA 500W PSU and an i3 6700 3.7ghz

I bought an i5 8600K CPU to upgrade.

After installing the i5, connecting the cooling fan components, I push the power button. The PC powers on for less than a second, then shuts down. Ive tried this numerous times with the same results.

I reinstall the i3, and it PC powers up, boots fine. In fact, its the PC I am writing the message with now.

Any ideas? I am new to the PC modding world. I will be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Menzie 01:10 14 Mar 2018

According to the Gigabyte website your motherboard supports up to 7th gen CPUs and not the generation after.

Even that requires a more recent BIOS.

I wouldn't recommend using this motherboard for the CPU you are trying to upgrade to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:24 14 Mar 2018

click here your board does not support that cpu

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?