Trying to update to Windows 8.1

chrisdebf 22:41 16 Dec 2016

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855D laptop computer. It has an AMD E-300 APU with Radeon ™ HD Graphics 1.30 Ghz., Ram 4gb, (3.59 usable), 64 bit OS x64 Processor. It currently has an outdated Windows 8 OS. There are no updates on the machine except for: (Windows Malicious Software Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10), and, (Windows server 2012 R2, 2016x64 Edition (kb890830), and update (kb315216). When i try to download Windows 8.1 from the Window Store it produces the following statement: "you need to use an account with administration privileges to install Windows 8.1. Try logging in with the user account of an administrator of this pc and try the update again". I do not understand why this is appearing, as the only account on the computer is mine, and normally that is the administrative account, or so i think. Can any tell me why this is happening? I mentioned the updates above as i am sure, after having the computer for more than three week`s, it should have more updates than just three, The updates are set to be automatically searched for.

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:15 17 Dec 2016

enable hen admin account

right click start select command prompt (admin)

type

net user administrator /active:yes

type exit - then log out of windows you should then see the admin account

chrisdebf 14:27 18 Dec 2016

Thank you "Fruit Bat" for your help. Whatever happened in the first place, has now been resolved, thanks to you. Unfortunately, i am unable to still download Windows 8.1, but i have been reading that sometimes this can be a problem, as there is a some kind of bug with the download, but they say (microsoft community), that to keep trying,as eventually it will download, so i will persevere. Thank you again for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:34 18 Dec 2016

click here and download and make the windows 8.1 media on DVD or USB. you can use it to do a complete fresh install or for use as a repair tool after you have upgraded in the normal way.

chrisdebf 14:19 20 Dec 2016

Just want to say thank you again "Fruit Bat", for all your help. I used the link that you provided, and it worked perfectly. PC Advisor must be proud to have you helping them out. Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:56 20 Dec 2016

Your welcome!

Thanks for the feed back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?