Trying to add windows xp fax services

heidelberg 07:30 09 Jun 2003

Very occasionally I need to send a fax, and usually do so from work. However I recently read that there is a fax service within xp components on the add/remove programmes option within the Control Panel. However I end up with the message:

"Setup cannot copy the file fxsapi.dll. Ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it and insert the Windows xp home edition SP1 CD in the drive specified."

The location specified is

c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

This location appears to be the correct one.

I have looked at the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328096 which refers to the problem, but under the cause sub heading the two conditions that are specified do not exist on my computer. The resolution suggested does not appear, therefore, to be appropriate. (It is also rather a complex procedure which I do not fully understand)

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so are there any suggestions as to how it can be resolved.

graham√ 09:45 09 Jun 2003

I didn't get a disk. :-( Fax installed without one.

graham√ 09:46 09 Jun 2003

I didn't get a disk. :-( Fax installed without one.

heidelberg 09:57 09 Jun 2003

Pops

I did all that you said - several times, except that I was required to insert the Windows xp home edition SP1 CD, and not the xp CD. I have just tried to do it using the windows CD, and pointing the Windows Components Wizard at the i386 folder on the xp CD. The Fax service than appeared to install, after replacing one file with an older one (I clicked yes when prompted inadvertently!).

There is now sign of the fax, even after a reboot, when following the Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications route. There is no sign of Fax Console.

Thanks for your help anyway. Any other suggestions?

heidelberg 10:00 09 Jun 2003

Pops (in reply to your 2nd posting)

I am following the procedure you mentioned exacted, but it requires the SP1 CD to be inserted.

Dave

heidelberg 11:14 09 Jun 2003

Thanks Pops

I'll take up your suggestion when I get home (am at work now!)

Dave

Belatucadrus 11:28 09 Jun 2003

Alternatively you could load one of these freebies :- Cheyenne bitware click here or Callcentre click here

heidelberg 14:56 09 Jun 2003

Pops thanks for all your postings, I'll try to answer your questions. In one of my earlier postings I said that the Fax service then appeared to install. In fact it hadn't. I repeated the process, again pointing the Windows Components Wizard to the i386 folder on the xp CD, and again it appeared to install, but with an error message "Setup could not copy one or more files. The specific error code is 0x539" (Google comes up with about 80 or so sites - most of which are incomprehensible to me)

Again it didn't install. No mention in the printer and faxes folder of control panel either. Tried the link you suggested but got "The page cannot be displayed" screen. I am not trying to setup fax system on Broadband, just an ISDN line.

Thanks also Belatucadrus, the second of the two links does not support ISDN modems, and is therefore no good to me. I will probably investigate your first suggestion.

I would like to resolve the original problem if possible, however. so any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Dave

heidelberg 08:01 10 Jun 2003

Pops

Is there no solution to this problem at all then?

Anyway thanks for all your help

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)