Trusteer End Point Protection - Rapport

wiganken2 19:10 15 Jan 2019
Answered

Last year I installed Trusteer Endpoint Protection (Rapport) (TEPR) following prompts from my online banking webpage but then forgot it was installed and just got on with using my computer. For a while now both my wife and I have noticed that, after switching on, the PC was slow to get to the point where it was usable and responsive to commands. I tried various things but the only thing that cured the problem was turning TEPR off which reduced the time by a massive 23 seconds. Uninstalling TEPR altogether reduced the time by another 5 seconds. In total my PC now boots-to-usable 28 seconds quicker than with TEPR installed. Whether TEPR was conflicting with my Norton Security program I don’t know but has anyone else had problems with TEPR slowing down the PC boot-to-usable time? I know Trusteer say it does not conflict with other security software so the problem may be with TEPR itself?

compumac 19:26 15 Jan 2019

Back in 2017 I had problems that Rapport caused in respect of the start up of Microsoft Edge. I removed Rapport and there were no subsequent problems with Edge starting. I appreciate that this might not be the same with PC start up times but is a consideration.

lotvic 19:28 15 Jan 2019

I've not had any problems with Trusteer rapport. I'm using Avast Free, not Norton.

wee eddie 20:42 15 Jan 2019

I use Kaspersky on a relatively new w10 PC. When I installed Trusteer from my Bank's Website the PC almost ground to a halt while on the net.

From what I understand, it does what any competent Anti Virus should already be doing

Taff™ 08:15 16 Jan 2019

From the very first launch of Trusteer End Point it has affected the performance of any computer it is installed on. I agree that it is not worth having provided you have adequate alternative security like Avast or any other recommended AV program.

wiganken2 09:50 16 Jan 2019

Thanks for the replies. Since TEPR was uninstalled my boot-to-usable time has got even better than in my original post. Maybe my Windows 8.1 OS has got its act together after the uninstall and it now boots-to-usable 35 seconds quicker than with TEPR installed. As long as one has a good security product installed then forget about TEPR is my new rule.

compumac 10:34 16 Jan 2019
Answer

Confirmation(?) of Trusteer problems click here

wee eddie 10:35 16 Jan 2019

You need an AV that also offers Secure Monetary Transfer Protection at the very least

wiganken2 10:51 16 Jan 2019

Compumac - Great link. It confirms my actions. I'll put my trust in my Norton Security product. Thanks.

polymath 21:53 17 Jan 2019

Its cumulative effects gradually made my computer almost unusable a few years back, and as far as I could see, all it did was tell me that I'd typed in a password I'd already used somewhere else (I knew that - that's why I thought of it. Used for some other site that had no business demanding one!). I think the constant monitoring in order to do that was the problem.

I only got rid of the last hidden vestiges of it with the help of Sysinternals, and deleting all unshared files with Rapport or Trusteer in the name.

wiganken2 09:14 18 Jan 2019

I reckon the banks push Trusteer because it shows that they are doing their best to protect the customer. If the customer doesn't install it and gets into trouble online then the banks can say "We tried to help but the customer wouldn't let us". It's just a pity that they didn't choose better software.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

From Haiku to Hokusai: How a new puzzle game was inspired by ancient Japanese art

Best free iPhone games 2019

Les meilleurs forfaits mobiles à moins de 20 €