trouble with windows vists product key after forma

liloldlady 16:43 19 Sep 2009

Hi, I reformatted my drive and after a month it is asking me to enter the product key for windows vista home which is on the back of my laptop. I have done this numerous times and it keeps telling me it is invalid. I have been onto the tech help pages on the windows website but cannot do as they say because I cant access my start menu as I dont have windows??? any help would be highly apreciated.....Thanks

rdave13 16:55 19 Sep 2009

I have a laptop with the microsoft licence key on the base. Checking with S.I.W. it shows a different product key. This was a reconditioned laptop bought from Curries. Why this has come about I don't know. The only suggestion is to try and contact Microsoft UK for their advice; click here

liloldlady 17:02 19 Sep 2009

Thanks11 i will try your suggestion and get back to you with result.....

woodchip 17:29 19 Sep 2009

If you used the Restore CD it should not need a extra Key. I have two Medion Computers a Laptop and Desktop running XP home the Key that Restore putes in is different to the one one to PC's the One on the PC is to use if I use a the OEM CD as I have bother a Restore and OEM CD with these computers Key on the back Works with OEM CD not Restore CD

mooly 17:57 19 Sep 2009

If you formatted the drive how did you reinstall windows ?
Was it from a disc ? Full retail version or an upgrade DVD ? or did you reinstall from a hidden partition on the HDD.
Sorry if this as a daft question but you have actually reinstalled Vista have you. You can't format a drive the operating system is on, it won't let you ! as a safegaurd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?