TROUBLE USING MODEM ROUTER

merlin5 16:48 04 Aug 2005

HI I BROUGHT A MODEM ROUTER TO CONNECT BOTH OF MY 2 COMPUTERS TO THE INTERNET. WE HAVE SET IT UP PROPERLY BY THE MANUAL AND THE TWO TV SCREENS ON THE BOTTOM TOOLBAR CAME UP FLASHING SAYING THAT THERE IS AN INTERNET CONNECTION THERE BUT WHEN I PUT IN A WEBPAGE IN THE ADDRESS BAR NOTHING HAPPENS.
IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO DO SO THAT THE COMPUTER KNOWS HOW TO CONNECT TO MY BROADBAND CONNECTION AS THE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION SAYS IT IS ENABLE SO IT MUST NOT BE COMMUNICATING WITH INTERNET EXPLORA. I CANNOT SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS I DID USE THE NETWORK SETUP WIZARD WHICH MADE NO DIFFERENCE. I USE WINDOWS XP THANKS FOR ANY ANSWERS YOU CAN GIVE ME BYE

Alf58 21:04 04 Aug 2005

Who is your internet provider? Mine is BT Yahoo and the network name required was not what I thought. When I set up my router/modem, I had to phone BT Broadband tech support to find out the correct network name. In my case all was fine but BT wouldnt let me connect because I had failed to provide the correct network name. Once I typed it into the set up box everything worked.

By the way try not to type in block capitals.

merlin5 23:03 04 Aug 2005

Hi thank you for your answer to my question but my internet provider is virgin.net, which I put in my login details on the set up like when I use my usb modem but I was unsure about the box where you have to put in a domain name (I think that is what it said in the configurations)
I was thinking about phoning up virgin.net but last time I spoke to them about such matters they were hopeless with my questions & only wanted to sell me stuff etc.
I don't think I would mind paying for a help service if there is one available for such matters but I do not know of any so I hope my problem can be solved on this website to save money. bye from Merlin

Alf58 00:10 06 Aug 2005

What make is your router? There should be some technical support. My router is a Belkin and they have 24 tech support.

LastChip 00:31 06 Aug 2005

Try turning off XP's firewall(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?