Trouble setting up a home network :(

[email protected] 12:33 20 Oct 2005

Well I expect those of you who have been helping me over the past month are not surprised to get this thread!
I have spent the last two hours trying to set up a network using the Set Up wizard in Windows XP SP2. I have looked on, and used advice from, the microsoft website, to no avail. I have also tried the Netgear website.
Basically I have a PC and USB Connected printer (Canon Pixmas IP 5000)upstairs. The PC has broadband internet access via the Netgear DG834GT Modem/router, which wirelessly transmits to my laptop downstairs, which has a WiFi card installed.I am using WPA encryption and also Run Norton, internet security on both PC and Laptop.Both PC and laptop currently have good broadband access.
I would like to create a small home network, so that I can use the printer upstairs,with the laptop downstairs. I would also like to access documents and files from each computer whilst on the other.
I have tried running the set up wizard, but on the PC upstairs, I was confused by the question, "Does the PC connect directly to the internet or via a resident gateway" I plumped for gateway. It said I had to create a set-up disk, but for some reason it only shows my card reader and floppy disk drive, to save to. Drives D & E are not present and there is no browse function.The laptop doesn't have a floppy D.I saved to floppy and tried copying to the D or e drive, but that resulted in an error message which said that the source was" in use" !
I am also confused about whether I should be using the "Create a small home network" or "Create a wireless network"
Your help and advice would be VERY much appreciated, especially if you explain it to me as if i were 5!!

[email protected] 12:36 20 Oct 2005

P.S. My Network places is not visible on the laptop, and wheni tried to access the computers in the workgroup in My Network places on the PC, i got an error message saying they were not available and i might not have permission to see them.

[email protected] 14:09 20 Oct 2005

I figured it out for myself!! (swells with pride!)

retep888 15:38 20 Oct 2005

Debe

Your problem may not be a problem to the experienced users, but it may help other beginners.

If you have time, please tell us how you do it.

[email protected] 20:47 20 Oct 2005

It was a basic mistake really. I thought about the problem and figured it had to be to do with the Firewall so I switched off the Windows one (which I hadn't set to "on" anyway!) and then opened up Norton and double clicked on the Firewall tab. That showed further tabs including networking, so I clicked on that and configured Norton to recognise and exclude the network connection. I was then able to see the PC so I went upstairs, right clicked the folders that I wanted to share and clicked on sharing & security. I ticked the Share this folder box, and also to allow changes to be made. I could then see all the folders so I switched on the printer and on the laptop I chose add a printer and then chose the option which was for a networked printer. The PC was found on the network as was the printer, so I added it and it is accessible now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?