Hot Topics

Trouble connecting an external monitor

tsikola 10:42 21 Mar 2020

Hello,

I am experiencing a rather peculiar issue when trying to connect my laptop (Dell XPS, Windows 10) to an external monitor (AOC Q27P1).

I try to connect the monitor to my laptop using USB-C to DVI cable. After connecting it, I can hear the sound of new hardware being added but then nothing happens and the external monitor stays black. I also make sure that the source on the external monitor is specified to DVI and that I am using 'duplicate' as a display option. I tried restarting both the computer and the monitor but it doesn't work.

I tried using the USB-C to DVI cable to connect to another (smaller) monitor and it works. Additionally, I tried connecting my personal laptop to the DVI port of the monitor which also works fine.

The issue is that this is a work laptop and I am not allowed to install anything to it so cannot download a driver or anything like that. Can you think of any way how to resolve this? Do you think that there is any point in buying a USB-C to HDMI or VGA cable instead?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Thanks,

Tomas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 21 Mar 2020

I think your last paragraph sums up the problem as windows is lock and cannot install an appropriate driver.

As you said the cable works the monitor works so that leaves your works laptop as the problem. Buy another cable is probably pointless.

you ill probably have to have a word with your IT department you can solve the problem with a remote connection.

tsikola 11:53 21 Mar 2020

Thanks man. I was just wondering, would connecting via VGA not be somewhat different? I'm not an expert on this but thought it's analogue so was wondering whether there isn't any hope that this would somehow circumvent the need for a driver installation as our IT is not particularly helpful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 23 Mar 2020

does the laptop have a VGA output if not then you need an adaptor which may need a driver.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Review

Affinity offers Photo, Designer & Publisher for Free for 3 Months

New iPhone SE could launch 'as early as today'

Les meilleures offres gratuites pendant la période de confinement