Trojan horse from MSN

woowoowoo 20:22 05 Jan 2007

My son has come back from uni with his(my) laptop which has been infected with a trojan horse which he picked up from clicking something on MSN. This caused continous sites to keep coming up when on the internet. He had Norton antivirus on it - trial version, which he didnt update. We have the laptop home now and I am trying to fix it. I have run AVG antivirus on it and found 18 problems which AVG has healed.
So now I can connect to the internet, but cant get on any sites - gets half way and is timed out.
Any suggestions - I am thinking of wiping it clean and starting again - saving any important documents, but will these be infected?
If I pay for a antivirus program like Norton will that fix the problem?

VoG II 20:23 05 Jan 2007
  woowoowoo 21:19 05 Jan 2007

Thanks I have done that and run spyware and am now on the net. I am now getting errors when I star up the laptop says something like ipwins.exe cant run because it needs services.dll. What is this?
Also I keep detecting Trojan Horse collected.AF??????????
Any advice greatfully received

VoG II 21:25 05 Jan 2007

ipwins.exe is spyware. Run HJT click here and post y7our log on the MWR forum click here

woowoowoo 21:32 05 Jan 2007

Cripes - if its that bad, would it be better to wipe the machine and reload windows?

terryf 21:34 05 Jan 2007

But you would lose all you data wouldn't you?

woowoowoo 21:54 05 Jan 2007

True - but is quite a new machine and hasn't got much on it yet - after all son is at university and hasnt done much work!!!!

woowoowoo 21:59 05 Jan 2007

ok - have now posted my log on the website. What is this log?

PaulB2005 22:02 05 Jan 2007

Try downloading ClamWin Portable from click here. Unzip to a flash drive and run the program. Update it and then transfer to the infected laptop. Run a scan.

If not flash drive, unzip to a folder, run program and update, then burn to CD. Copy onto laptop and run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)