Trojan horse BackDoor.Small.18.AP

canadaSub 15:35 10 Mar 2005

My AVG Free has noted I have a virus in "C:\windows\system32\vtd_16.exe" with a result of "Trojan horse BackDoor.Small.18.AP" but does not delete this virus. I cannot find anything on a "Trojan horse BackDoor.Small.18.AP" virus but only a Haxdoor virus. I have a newish Pentium 4 laptop with AVG Free, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware Personal which are updated every week at least.
On the internet, the screen went blue and rebooted. laptop booted as far as the log-on screen then came the blue screen of death. I've managed to run the laptop ok now but AVG keeps saying I have this Trojan horse BackDoor.Small.18.AP and I can't get rid of it.
please help before I scrub the hard drive..... something I am not wanting to do as this laptop has no floppy A drive, just a DVD/CD ROM combo and USB drives.
Got to go to work now but hope someone can post some help.

Diemmess 15:43 10 Mar 2005

Trend Housecall is a freebie that might clear this for you, and certainly won't make matters worse.click here

If you can clear it this way, then have a good think how this got past your defences in the first place..... "prevention is better than ......etc"

canadaSub 02:08 11 Mar 2005

Thanks for your response Diemmess.

It is not like I do not have any defences (I am not claiming to be indestructable) but I run AVG Free anti-virus, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware Personal and ZoneAlarm firewall which are updated every week at least. Got me this one though!

sidecar sid 08:03 11 Mar 2005

Try a scan with a²

click here

canadaSub 13:45 11 Mar 2005

Thanks sidecar sid but I tried that and it didn't pick it up. Just finished Trend Housecall so I'll reboot and let you know how I got on.

canadaSub 15:27 11 Mar 2005

Housecall found and deleted another virus and a couple of cookies but this virus is still there. Installed WinPatrol click here and it shows a startup program called "secboot" which starts vtd_16.exe (previously deleted before booting up). It shows the registry key that starts it but when i went into regedit, the entry wasn't there.

Found this at click here which I will try next.

canadaSub 18:51 12 Mar 2005

That didn't work either................

stalion 18:53 12 Mar 2005
  rdave13 19:10 12 Mar 2005

Try running all the above with S.R. off.

canadaSub 20:10 12 Mar 2005

a² didn't pick anything up and I have been working on this all along after turning off my syaten restore.

I am very close to wiping my hard drive clean!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 12 Mar 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)