Translating websites to other languages

Midsman2005 11:50 17 Jul 2006

Dear Forum,

I am not sure if something like this exists, so please excuse me if it is a silly question!

A significant proportion of the traffic to my website comes from South America and I would like to include a link somewhere on my website that says "to see this website in Spanish/Portugeuse/French/etc" please click here.

So that when the visitor clicks the link they see the same website, just in their own language.

I am capable of doing this by simply re-writing the whole website in these other languages, but I was rather hoping that there was something that could do it automatically as the translations would not have to be perfect.

I would be surprised if something like this exists, but it would be nice if it did :-)

Thanks.

mco 12:36 17 Jul 2006

There are automatic site translators (been mentioned before here if you do a search) But honestly, speaking as a linguist, I wouldn't trust them - they are just machines and don't always get the right word or phrase. If you know the language well enough yourself to translate it, do so; if not, find a native speaker - but not an automatic translation machine!

harristweed 09:18 18 Jul 2006

i've used this in the passed.

click here

Works well enough.

mco 11:28 18 Jul 2006

I beg to differ! It translates my 'news feed' section as 'meals for the news' - and that's just the first line!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?