Transferring VHS tape to Hard Drive - help needed.

  NOVICE ENABLED 19:19 10 Jul 2004

I want to transfer some old VHS footage to my hard drive, but I'm not sure if I have the correct set up - I understand that I need a TV/Video card. My display adapters are shown as 'GeForce 4 MX integrated GPU' in device manager, is this suitable?

I also have an 'S-Video' socket at the back of the PC next to a yellow phono socket. Is it just a case of linking a scart lead from my VCR to the S-Video socket?

I have 'Win fast TV 2000 XP' installed, but when I open it I get the message 'Can not find any video capture device'. Is this just because the VCR isn't connected to the PC, or is it because I don't have the correct card?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  SEASHANTY 19:54 10 Jul 2004

Some information on this previous PCA thread
click here

  SEASHANTY 20:01 10 Jul 2004

....and another one click here
If you search back in the helproom pagesa there are lots of postings on this subject. Unfortunately
typing in VHS to HDD or similar in the search facility brings up nothing found. Its pretty much useless.

  SEASHANTY 20:10 10 Jul 2004

If you just want to transfer VHS tape recordings to
DVD then the easiest and quickest way is to use a standalone domestic DVD recorder. All you do then is connect your VCR to the DVD recorder by scart socket, put in a blank DVDR disc and press record. It records in real time and you can edit out commercials with the pause button. Most DVD recorders will give you a choice of XP,SP, LP and ELP corresponding to 1, 2, 4, and either 6 or 8 hours on a single 4.7GB DVDR. Selection of machines
listed on this website click here

  NOVICE ENABLED 20:09 11 Jul 2004

Thanks for your help seashanty.

Unfortunately, I don't have a stand alone DVD player, I just need to get the footage from a very old VHS tape on to my PC and do a little editing - I'll consider VCD's/DVD's etc at a later date.

This is probably a stupid question, but does an S-'Video' lead also carry the audio signal?

Thanks again.

  Night Ryder 20:32 11 Jul 2004

The 'S-Video' socket and the yellow phono on the graphics card generaly only allow you to record from your PC. In other words they are just outputs and not inputs which is what you require.
I do this kind of all the time using an "Osprey" video capture card. There are a number of video capture cards on the market and you wll need one of these to record. You would then record sound via your sound card and video via the capture card.

  Night Ryder 20:35 11 Jul 2004

PS, Forgot to mention. You will also require video capture software.

  NOVICE ENABLED 20:45 11 Jul 2004

Thanks NR!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Brilliant (and Weird) World Cup 2018 Art and Design Projects

iPhone 8 vs OnePlus 6

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?