Transferring SSD from old pc to new

Visi22 18:19 11 Apr 2018

Hey,

I may have missed something, but I had a look for this specific issue, and wasn't able to find it.

I recently bought a new PC from a friend who wanted to keep their SSD, which was fine as I had one in my old PC that I figured I would just transfer it. I detached his and replaced it with mine and windows booted up fine, though when I went to run a game there was a huge amount of lag (the mouse taking at least a second to respond to my movement).

Just wondering if there is anything I need to do, if I need to boot in BIOS and do something more complicated than I am used to.

Unless you can't tell, I am not very proficient with computers, but feel free to ask for clarification on anything relating to this issue.

Thanks in advance!

wiganken2 18:34 11 Apr 2018

Maybe the drivers need updating? You are using an SSD from your "old pc" and installed it into a newer pc so the drivers need to work with different components now. You can use the free program "Driver Booster 5 Free" from IOBit to do this. See click here

rdave13 19:14 11 Apr 2018

Check if Windows is activated first. I'm surprised it booted to be honest.

Visi22 20:31 11 Apr 2018

Hey, thank you so much for the replies - end of a long working day so I apologise for not responding sooner.

I have updated the some stuff through Windows, and it seems to be working okay now :) I am tempted to try that download, but I am always pretty wary of downloading random links (no offence!)

Yeah, the friend that sold me the PC was surprised actually booted straight up - should I do/ have done something differently? I'm really happy with the PC upgrade in general, but want to make sure I have it all set up properly.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry that I won't be able to reply until tomorrow!

wee eddie 21:58 11 Apr 2018

I also am somewhat suprised that it booted on a PC that it was not registered with on

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus