Transferring OE contents to new laptop

kiz 10:05 06 Sep 2006

Could someone remind me of how to transfer all my folders and address book (in OE) to a new laptop. Either that or point me to an article which will spell it out for me.
Thanks alot.

nob14 10:12 06 Sep 2006

All you need to know about OE and the way to do what you here

powerless 10:13 06 Sep 2006

In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder: Copy the path to the folder.

Start, Run, Paste the above.

You'll see loads of files or just a few, depends on what you have in OE. Just copy those or go up a level and copy the folder.

On the laptop do the same but paste in the folder or files [whichever you copy] and voila...

Also have OE closed when you're coping and pasting.

For the Windows Address Book, File, Export, Address Book (WAB).

Carafaraday 11:51 06 Sep 2006

For future reference............

kiz 15:33 06 Sep 2006

thanks a lot guys. Really helpful as usual.

kiz 17:37 06 Sep 2006

I have done exactly as you said and put all the dbx files into the right place on the laptop. I can see them there but when I open O-E none of them are showing.
Am I missing somethng obvious? I have restartedthe comp but no go there.
Also, Nob14
That was a very useful site but unless I am stupid (probably) I cannot se anything about moving OE folders - only address book.

nob14 19:35 06 Sep 2006

Your right Kiz sorry this any better?

click here

kiz 20:34 06 Sep 2006

Thanks for that. I followed the instructions but still had problems (I'm sure it is my stupidity!). However, I am a bit tired tonight so I am going to leave it for now and will look at tomorrow and post again.
Thanks for your help

powerless 21:59 06 Sep 2006

It will work as I said, done it loads of times.

Just to confirm you are copying all *.dbx files from:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{UNIQUE]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{UNIQUE]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

kiz 07:31 07 Sep 2006

Success! I was doing all the correct things except I still had OE open on the old computer, so it wasnt copying the folders.dbx and inbox.dbx files correctly.
Thanks - the article essentially said the same thing but nice to have on file.

One other thing though that you may be able to help me with:
While I was tinkering last night, I inadvertently changed the 'open with file type' from the standard icon for dbx files to Excel. Now I cant change it back as there is no icon in the file types for dbx files.
Can you suggest anything?
I have tried sfc but no help there.

nob14 08:00 07 Sep 2006

try sending yourself a mail and then before opening it search for *dbx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?