transferring file error message reported

rickf 21:09 16 Oct 2018

So my new External HD is working great but windows every now and then gives me this error when I try to copy over a file to somewhere else

'This file is no longer located in... [file address]'

However, of course the file is located there, exactly where it should be. Is this some kind of registry error? Looking online for how to fix it whilst I back up my PC

Any suggestion/help appreciated. The external expansion h/d is seagate and os is win 10 with up to date updates.

rickf 09:27 17 Oct 2018

bump

Aitchbee 10:32 17 Oct 2018

I'm guessing but it might have something to do with the 'file deleting bug' in the latest release of windows 10 update 1809.

Aitchbee 11:14 17 Oct 2018

I would suggest trying something like RECUVA to get your lost files back.

rickf 13:23 17 Oct 2018

Thanks will look into it. The files are not lost on the h/d of the pc. Just on transferring some of them a message comes up saying said file is not at the location when it definitely is. Result is it cannot be transferred to the external h/d for safe storage. Any other suggestions welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 17 Oct 2018

does it have the hidden attribute set?

rickf 20:11 17 Oct 2018

Don't know what hidden attribute is. Please enlighten me.

rickf 20:12 17 Oct 2018

And are you referring to the PC or the external H/D?

Aitchbee 22:46 17 Oct 2018

Files can be made to do what you want 'em to do by switching 'em on-or-off via their properties. Your immovable files may have lost the ability to be switched.

Aitchbee 23:04 17 Oct 2018

Would have been better to say File Attributes rather than Files at beginning of last post.

Peter~24 11:44 18 Oct 2018

rickf,

Is it possible that the external hard drive is going to sleep while you are not using it and that you need to wake it up before you start your backup procedure? Possibly you should have a look at the external hard drive using Windows Explorer and open a sub-folder before you backup to ensure that the external drive is ready to go.

Peter.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France