transfering stuff from one harddrive to another

mark-238636 10:12 25 Aug 2005

i have a small 16gig harddrive with all my stuff on it but i have installed an 80gig harddrive .can i transfer all my stuff on to the 80gig harddrive which is the slave drive just now

Diemmess 10:25 25 Aug 2005

Yes,......... ideally via an image file of the 16Gb disk though where to keep it while you "restore" the image to your new HD is another problem.

I would suggest you keep the 16 Gb disk as a primary and use the new HD as a huge store for all the data files which can be copied by normal means.

If you transfer all your data files to the new one you will free a lot of space on the old 16Gb for the system to breathe more freely and can also store an image against the day when your 16Gb disk system screws up or the disk fails altogether.

johnnyrocker 10:27 25 Aug 2005

i use an external usb portable hard drive carrier and find that i have no probs transferring across to my hdd and even stuff to friends/family

johnny.

Diemmess 11:27 25 Aug 2005

Received via email.........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"What do you mean by data files?"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All your own files, documents, pictures, music, and so on, the results of what you have done and might wish to keep. Also anything you have downloaded and mean to access again one day.

[Always use the "post response" window at the bottom of your thread, not e-mail. That way everybody can join in the fun.]

stlucia 13:10 25 Aug 2005

What I do is keep all my program files (the files that actually run your programs) on the original disk, and save my data files (like the .doc files, .xls files, .jpg files etc. that I save when I use Word, Exel, or my photo editor) onto a separate bigger disk. You can configure your software (usually under "options" or something like that) to automatically save things into folders on your D:\ drive instead of your C:\ drive.

Your existing data files can be dragged across to the new drive using Windows Explorer. Then you'll just have to direct your software where to find them next time you want to open them.

stlucia 13:11 25 Aug 2005

What I do is keep all my program files (the files that actually run your programs) on the original disk, and save my data files (like the .doc files, .xls files, .jpg files etc. that I save when I use Word, Exel, or my photo editor) onto a separate bigger disk. You can configure your software (usually under "options" or something like that) to automatically save things into folders on your D:\ drive instead of your C:\ drive.

Your existing data files can be dragged across to the new drive using Windows Explorer. Then you'll just have to direct your software where to find them next time you want to open them.

Stuartli 14:23 25 Aug 2005

It will only be the D drive if there isn't a CD or DVD-ROM/rewriter drive on the system.

XP has a Transfer Files and Settings Wizard (Accessories>System Tools).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?