Transfer camcorder images - DVI / FIREWIRE/3D CARD

  [DELETED] 10:51 28 Sep 2003

i am looking to transfer images from my mini dv camcorder to my pc. if i was to have dvi on my graphics card would i be able to do this or am i better getting a firewire card. if a firewire card cost £50 and a graphics card say £60 would i be better getting a new graphics cards as i will only be transferring images every blue moon.

  [DELETED] 11:25 28 Sep 2003

As I understand it,

DVI on a graphics card is intended as a digital interface for Flat Panel displays - as opposed to the analogue VGA connection - and is not an input.

For video, your best bet is to get a basic Firewire adapter card - Lucient about £30 - to go with your DV capture software (?)

If it's still images your after, then the USB route is adequate.


  [DELETED] 11:26 28 Sep 2003

DV is best transfered via firewire. You can pick them up as single port for circa £25. You can always use it for other devices later as you upgrade.

  Boy Zone 13:43 28 Sep 2003

I agree, use a firewire, it's best quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Adobe's brand-new video editing app Project Rush works across your computer, tablet and phone

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs jeux pour Android (2018)