Tottaly unrespnsive laptop - Sony Vaio

Jollyjohn 11:50 30 May 2018
Answered

Sony Vaio - VGN-FW21L - or model number PCG-3D1m. Originally supplied with Vista but upgraded to W7. Hard drive was corrupted and laptop would not boot to W7. Removed drive and recovered user data. Booted from W7 cd and tried repair - still would not boot - eventually BSOD. DriverPowerState_Failure, or similar. Chkdsk failed to repair disk. Tried to boot again - BSOD so shut down.

Now I get nothing - no POST, no beeps, even with RAM and hard drive removed. Nothing on external monitor. Have removed battery, held power key for 30 seconds, still nothing.

Any suggestions of what I can try next?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 04 Jun 2018

tried booting with HDD disconnected - will it boot to an error message?

Jollyjohn 10:59 05 Jun 2018

Tried with no hdd and no RAM - nothing - no beeps, no flicker from screen. This is why I am thinking a hardware fault in the switch wiring that keeps the laptop in sleep mode, as if the lid is shut??

Jollyjohn 10:11 11 Jun 2018
Answer

Just been in to my local repair shop - dead graphics chip - a known fault with these laptops according to them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:17 11 Jun 2018

Thanks for letting us know - expensive?

Jollyjohn 12:49 19 Jun 2018

Didn't ask for a quote but I think I paid £75 to have a graphics chip resoldered previously.

The age of the Sony was against it. The repair shop didn't even want it for spares, for free!!!

kokoki 19:43 29 Oct 2018

. It's spring loaded and as the lid opens, it springs back, allowing the Laptop to turn on again

kokoki 22:03 01 Nov 2018

. It's spring loaded and as the lid opens, it springs back, allowing the Laptop to turn on again click here click here click here

wee eddie 22:33 01 Nov 2018

Koko's a clown. - FE told

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Chiara Luber brings vintage postcards to life in her summery ode to Hepburn and romance

How to install the iOS 13 beta on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleurs ├ętuis et housses pour Kindle (2019)