Hot Topics

Totally dead laptop - retrieve photos from HDD

Border View 19:36 23 Jan 2020

Laptop won't power up (it is quite old and not used for a couple of years). Tried fitting new battery still wont power up.

I would like to retrieve the photos and transfer them to new laptop.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so, how.

Living in hope.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 23 Jan 2020

Make and model of laptop?

Hardest part maybe getting the HDD out of the laptop, some are easy on screw in a flap on the bottom and the drive slides / pulls out. Others are hidden under the keyboard and means stripping down the machine to get at it.

Once the drive is out then it can be popped into an external case and connected by USb to another machine for retrieval of files

Border View 06:37 24 Jan 2020

Many thanks for responding Fruit Bat. Will get back to you.

Govan1x 07:22 25 Jan 2020

Tried fitting new battery still wont power up.

Have you tried with just the charger and the battery removed.

Take it that it was the main battery you changed and not the CMOS

I have 3 old laptops and all are about 10 yrs old or more. They had been lying about for years but still started. All batteries were flat and one had to be replaced but they all started when using the charger. Maybe your problem is the Charger, Or Cmos has no charge and battery has not enough power in it to start it up.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Can you see the bottle in this Coke ad?

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs drones pas chers (2020)