Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 USB Controller Problem

jmf1949 11:20 09 Apr 2019

I have an "aging" laptop, which has given me good service over the years. Just recently I notice that one of the two Intel(R) 7 series/C216 Chipset Family Enhanced Host Controllers is shown with a "yellow" triangle warning on Device Manager every time I power-up and load Windows, and the devices hung off this are not accessible. If I disable then enable this, I have no further problem during that session. I have checked for driver updates, and am advised that they are at latest level. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, what did you do to resolve it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:28 09 Apr 2019

Rather than enable try uninstalling and re installing the driver.

jmf1949 11:54 09 Apr 2019

Thanks fruity, tried that as part of checking drivers for updates. That included uninstalling it then restarting the lap-top.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 09 Apr 2019

Have you tried rolling back the drivers?

jmf1949 14:42 09 Apr 2019

If the USB port works following a reset, I can't see there is anything wrong with the driver. True, it is an "old" driver, with a date from the year that the lap-top was manufactured! Now that Toshiba no longer supports this device, I can't find any newer ones. I am just trying to pin-point the event that causes the OS to flag the controller as "faulty", so that I can deal with that and not have to reset it every session. There are two controllers on the lap-top and the other shows no problem, and I guess it is using the same driver. I have recently found a "tip" on power management, suggesting turning off the feature - "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I have done this and will see what happens when I next reboot. :-)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)